The Obstructions

So. Netball. OK so you know the story of the bobble hat... life seems to be about 'fitting in,' but who decides what fits in and what doesn't? I talked about differences and in my case, how they helped me as a netball player. So fast forward 12 years and here I am, on holiday, not relaxing in the sun just yet, but once again, using my uniqueness to splash around the deep end of the pool on tip-toes whilst aiming my shots at Barry. (He's not a friend of my Dad's by the way.) Its a pink, inflatable flamingo who's middle replicates the net in my back garden.
Let's talk about a couple of the obstructions I have faced as a netballer, (metaphorically speaking,) some of these have been similar to my life experiences. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, (unless you're talking about the 6ft 4in goal keepers.) They will stop at nothing to get that ball from you, including the obligatory chicken leg from behind and the over-friendly 'let's be friends' smile - lulling you into a false sense of security. But you know their secrets; the happier the chat the more chance you have of being the victim of a cruel outcome.
Ears. Random I know.... how can these be an obstruction? Since the age of two I have had 7 pairs of grommets (soon to be 8,) 160 litres of Calpol, 95 bottles of banana flavoured medicine, copious amounts of gunge, gunk and leakage and a personal relationship/ first name terms with the Doctors' receptionists. The slightest breeze on court from a wet and windy day sends my ear drums into overdrive. Training has often been entertaining when experiencing deafness. Coach: "Did you understand that Moll?" Me: "Sorry, I didn't catch that?" (Literally sometimes the case due to the off balance caused by the nature of the beast - the dreaded ear infections.)
So. Netball. I am sure that there are many of you out there facing far worse and trying to achieve your dreams. It just shows you that whatever we face, we can still climb higher and higher. (On that note, if one more person says to me 'gosh, aren't you tall?' ...)
So until next time, keep facing your obstructions with your head held high and continue following your dreams.
Barry at his best

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So. Netball.

Trials and Tribulations

Greetings from Dubai!